First Day Cat Memories
Memories are made when a new cat joins your home. Memories that last for a lifetime!
It’s the same for your cat. Research has shown that events with a big impact create associations and behavior that lasts for a lifetime.
Imagine this cat experience: your travel box opens and you’re off to fend for your own in a space you don’t know, people you don’t know. There are scary noises. You don’t know where to pee. You don’t know where to eat!
Come to think of it, it’s like being left to your own devices in some city you don’t know, in a country where you don’t know the language. You’d appreciate some help, wouldn’t you?
This is how you can help your cat though the first days, and help them create memories and behave well from the first moments in your house:
- Prepare a dedicated cat room
- In that room, provide a litter box and food and water (more than 6 feet away from the litter box)
- Provide a soft, warm bed and a space where your cat can look out the window
- Place the travel box in a corner, open the door and allow the cat to explore the room at their own initiative and pace. The travel box will remain open and inside the room
- The room itself remains closed until your cat eats and drinks well and uses the litter box. You can visit and pet the cat if they allow it
- Only now it’s time for the door to be opened and the cat to explore the remainder of the home at their own leisure.